Your patients deserve the best care possible. When you’re working in healthcare, you know that every second counts. That’s why you want to make sure that your patients receive the best care possible. But what are ways to ensure that all of your patients receive quality care even when you’re not around?
If you want to make sure they have a good impression of your facility, then you must do everything you can to ensure they leave with a positive one.
Before they even enter the doors of your facility, these are the ten non-negotiables for providing quality care:
- From the moment your patient and family are aware they have to visit your facility, they need to be given directions on where to park, and what entrance to go in … before they arrive.
- The reception staff, first and foremost, is culturally sensitive, friendly, understanding, and accommodating. Read more about the optimal waiting room experience for parents here.
- Patient safety is at the forefront of every conversation and intervention you have.
- The tech or nurse who greets the family introduces themselves and their role. After introductions, the staff person tells the family exactly what to expect during their visit.
- They are given an estimated wait time (especially if it’s longer than desired).
- They are given an opportunity for a face-to-face conversation with their physician that doesn’t involve a computer checklist before any procedures.
- The child is included in the conversation. Read more tips on how to talk with kids here.
- Parents’ concerns are addressed.
- The child’s fear and pain are addressed in a developmentally appropriate way. Read more on that here.
- The family leaves feeling heard and has demonstrated that they understand the care plan fully. We talk about “teach-back” here on TikTok.
If you want more information on how to give your patients and families a HIGH-quality experience, that’s where expanding child life services with Child Life On Call can come into play. With the ability to provide every patient and parent access to evidenced-based child life services before they arrive in your facility, the patient experience is elevated before they even arrive.
To request a demo at your healthcare facility, fill out this form.