Creating positive healthcare experiences
TLDR: Child Life 101 is a unique opportunity to learn more about the important role of Child Life specialists in supporting children and families during medical experiences. With 10 weekly themes, the podcast series will cover a range of topics relevant to anyone interested in Child Life and healthcare. Tune in for practical tips for applying Child Life techniques in your life and work. We hope you’ll join us for this exciting learning, growth, and discovery journey. Thanks for listening!
Are you a parent or caregiver of a child undergoing medical treatment? Are you a healthcare professional looking to improve your support for children and families? Or are you simply interested in learning more about the field of Child Life? If so, you won’t want to miss the upcoming podcast series, Child Life 101.
What is the Child Life 101 Podcast Series?
Child Life 101 is a 10-week series designed to provide informative, accessible, and engaging content to a wide range of individuals interested in learning more about Child Life and how it can support children and families during medical experiences.
Hosted and written by Katie Taylor, a Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) at Child Life On Call, this series is designed to be a crash course in Child Life, with 10 weekly themes that cover everything from pain management to family-centered care to digital resources in hospitals.
Child Life is a field of healthcare that focuses on the emotional, social, and developmental needs of children and families during medical experiences. Child Life specialists are trained professionals who use play, education, and other techniques to help children cope with medical procedures, manage pain, and promote healing. Child Life specialists are an integral part of the healthcare team, working to support children and families from diagnosis through treatment and recovery.
The Child Life 101 series is tailored for parents of children who are receiving medical treatment, child life specialists and healthcare professionals, students and aspiring child life specialists, advocates for pediatric healthcare, and anyone with a general interest in child life and healthcare. Through this series, we aim to share best practices, personal experiences, and practical tips for individuals who want to learn more about child life and its important role in supporting children and families during medical experiences.
The podcast series will cover a range of topics, including pain management, family-centered care, digital resources in hospitals, and more. Each week, the podcast episode, a blog post, and two social media posts will center around the theme of the week.
Who is this series for?
- Parents of children who are receiving medical treatment: Parents who have children in the hospital or receiving medical treatment may be interested in learning more about how Child Life specialists can support their children and family during the medical experience.
- Child Life specialists and healthcare professionals: Child Life specialists and other healthcare professionals may be interested in learning from others in the field, sharing their own experiences, and staying up-to-date on best practices.
- Students and aspiring Child Life specialists: Students who are studying to become Child Life specialists, as well as individuals who are considering a career in the field, may be interested in learning more about the day-to-day work of Child Life specialists and the skills and knowledge required to be successful.
- Advocates for pediatric healthcare: Individuals who are passionate about improving healthcare for children and families may be interested in learning more about Child Life and how it can support the emotional and social needs of children and families during medical experiences.
- Anyone interested in Child Life and healthcare: Anyone with a general interest in Child Life and healthcare may be interested in learning more about this field and the important role that Child Life specialists play in supporting children and families during medical experiences.
What topics will be covered?
What topics will be covered?
- Child Life 101: What is Child Life
- Child Life 101: Procedure Support
- Child Life 101: Difficult Conversations with Kids
- Child Life 101: Preparing Kids for Procedures
- Child Life 101: Empowering Parents
- Child Life 101: Digital Resources in Hospitals
- Child Life 101: Child Life Entrepreneurship & Private Practice
- Child Life 101: Family Centered Care
- Child Life 101: Child Life Tips
- Child Life 101: How to Support Child Life Programs
Child Life 101 is an exciting opportunity to learn more about Child Life and how it can support children and families during medical experiences. Whether you’re a parent, caregiver, healthcare professional, or simply interested in the field of Child Life, there’s something for everyone in this series. We invite you to tune in and join us for this journey of learning, growth, and discovery.
About the Host
Katie Taylor is an entrepreneur, Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS), author, and keynote speaker with over a decade of experience as a clinician at the bedside in critical, emergency, surgical, and neonatal care. She is passionate about helping children and families navigate the challenges of medical experiences and promoting the importance of child life services in healthcare. Katie is currently the founder and CEO of Child Life On Call, which helps healthcare industry provide child life services to more families than ever before.