Jennifer Canvasser's world was shattered when she lost her son to Necrotizing Enterocolitis. Now, she's on a mission to raise awareness and support families facing the same struggles. But just as her advocacy began to gain momentum, a shocking discovery threatened to...
Episode 190 | Sara’s Story- Telling your Child you have [repost in honor of breast cancer awareness month]
Podcast Show Notes
Breast cancer survivor, Sara Olsher, battles the disease as a single parent, using her experience to empower others and create resources for families facing cancer, in a moving and inspiring episode of the Child Life On Call podcast.
I am my daughter’s person…my number one thought was her. And I just thought, how are we going to handle this? – Sara Olsher
My special guest is Sara Olsher
Meet Sara Olsher, a resilient and tenacious woman who hails from Northern California’s picturesque wine country. Not only is she a loving mother navigating a blended family, but Sara also stands out as a survivor with a moving tale of resilience. Facing a breast cancer diagnosis in her mid-thirties and the painful treatment process, Sara managed to turn her struggle into a beacon for others. Her candid sharing of her emotional journey with family relationships, anxiety, and health struggles is a testament to her strength and courage.
This is Sara Olsher’s story:
Sara Olsher, a native of Northern California, found herself fighting an arduous battle against breast cancer at the age of 34. Having weathered a divorce and her daughter’s crippling anxiety, Sara was no stranger to adversity. Yet, nothing could prepare her for the diagnosis that shook her world. She vividly recalls the chilling moment laying alone on an ultrasound table, when the doctor confirmed her worst fears. Despite the overwhelming shock, Sara summoned the strength to navigate through the maze of medical procedures with grace. From advocating for early detection due to her family history of cancer to enduring the excruciating pain of tissue expanders during her double mastectomy, Sara’s journey is a testament to her indomitable spirit.
In this episode, you will be able to:
- Explore Sara’s firsthand experiences from her breast cancer diagnosis to treatments, offering an inspiring narrative for those facing a similar situation.
- Learn to simplify complex cancer terminologies into friendly conversation, developing a resourceful way to ease children into understanding the disease.
- Comprehend the value of a strong community in fueling hope and resilience during cancer treatments.
- Master the art of balancing the role of a single parent with the imperative of self-care during cancer treatment.
- Understand the silent toll of cancer on children and strategies to alleviate their anxiety, making them feel safe and heard.
The resources mentioned in this episode are:
- Listen to Child Life On Call podcast: Tune in to Episode 190 featuring Sara’s Story telling Your Child You Have Cancer repost in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Gain valuable insights and support from parents who have gone through similar experiences.
- Share your story: If you have a child with a medical experience, diagnosis, or disease, consider sharing your story on Child Life On Call. Help other parents feel less alone and provide them with the power of shared experiences.
- Seek emotional support: If you or someone you know is dealing with anxiety or any other mental health concerns, reach out to a mental health professional or counselor. Don’t hesitate to ask for help and support.
- Become a confident advocate: Empower yourself to become a confident advocate for your child’s healthcare experiences. Listen to expert episodes on Child Life On Call that provide valuable content for both parents and professionals in the field of healthcare.
- Explore early detection options: If you have a family history of cancer, advocate for early detection screenings and tests. Consult with healthcare professionals to ensure you receive the necessary screenings based on your family history.
Whether you are a parent or professional, we want you to join our community. Sign up for our newsletter here.
Parents, download our free parent starter kit.
When you download our starter kit, you’ll learn how to:
- Give medicine to your child without it becoming a wrestling match
- Prepare your child (and yourself) for a shot so they can feel less anxious
- Create and use a coping plan for any medical appointment or procedure
The first sign of sniffles, or worse, shouldn’t send you into a tailspin. Feel confident in your role as a parent and advocate, no matter what medical situation you’re facing.
Child life specialists, get affordable PDUs on-demand here.
Shop for your CLOC gear here.
Feel empowered with Child Life On Call’s Mastering Immunizations: Expert Tips to Prepare, support and respond like a Child Life Specialist Course for Parents, Child Life Specialists and Clinicians! 🌈👨👩👧👦💉
It is the only course you’ll ever need to be able to prepare, respond and support your child at any age and stage for immunizations. Evidenced-based tips from a child life specialist who has been supporting kids through painful procedures for 13+ years. This offer will only be available for a limited time. Pre-order your course today here!
You Might Also Like…
James Robinson encountered an unexpected twist in his journey as a father to a child with a serious congenital heart defect. This change, while heart-wrenching, sparked a fire within him to create a meaningful and joy filled life for his son, Nadav. As James shares...
Episode 196 | Hannah Parson’s Story – Navigating the Complexities and Challenges of Special Needs Parenting
In the journey of special needs parenting, Hannah Parsons never anticipated the unexpected twist that would forever change her path. It all began with a missing bone in her son's arm, a revelation that plunged her into a world of uncertainty and endless specialist...